Let's start by taking a look at the way the Doshas are associated with the times of day, and then the Ayurvedic view on sleep patterns. Yea for Dosha fun......if you are unfamiliar with Dosha and Triguna please look at past articles that have been posted.
Every day two waves of Doshic change happen. The following times are approximate and change with the seasons. In the more northern and southern hemispheres the days become longer in the summer and much shorter in the winter. These factors should be taken into consideration when planning an appropriate daily rhythm.
- 6 a.m to 10 a.m is the Kapha time of day.
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. is Pitta time of day.
- 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. is Vata time of day.
- 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. is the Kapha time of day.
- 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. is Pitta time of day.
- 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. is the Vata time of day.
The ideal sleep patterns for each Dosha are:
- Vata- awake with the sun and no later.
- Pitta-awake half an hour before sun.
- Kapha- awake one hour before sun
If all of life is sadhana then sleep becomes a spiritual practice as well. Follow the natural rhythm and harmony will come!
Jay Shiv Shakti