Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Gita Quote of Goodness

"I really want to be more flexible."

I hear this so often when I teach a Hatha Yoga class. It's nice to have the body be a comfortable place to be, but when our practice is only based on the physical it's just short sited. My student Michelle in Petaluma came up with a great saying about Yoga, "Yoga is not about getting your leg behind your head, but it's about getting your head out of your ass." Very true, and it makes me laugh and smile, so it's very yogic. Nothing changed when I got both of my legs behind my head, I just found myself throwing my gunas out of whack to achieve flexibility.

So, what type of Yogi should we be? Again, back to the goodness of Bhagavad Gita, chapter 6 v.47. Shribhagavan Krishnaji says,

yoginam api sarvesam
madgatena ntaratmana
sraddhavan bhajate yo mam
sa me yuktatamo matah


And of all the yogins, he who is filled with faith, his entire being given over to Me, is the most intimately united with Me and is the best of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment