Friday, September 10, 2010

Quote of the Week, Bhagavad Gita

He who draws away the senses from the objects of sense on every side as a tortoise draws in his limbs (into his shell), his intelligence is firmly set (in wisdom).
(Bhagavad Gita, Chp. 2 v.58)


Starting back to school recently; I found the constant onslaught of people, information, noise, and movement to be very entertaining. I watch the crowds of people in between classes, and listen to the wild things I hear. Then I began to see how my senses would roam from one sensory object to the next. Always craving for something else that was beautiful to see, or enjoyable to hear, or that made me laugh. The world is a beautiful expression of Maa Shakti, and should be appreciated, but I found I also needed the time to withdraw and experience my inner reality. Now, everyday in between class I go to the library, cross my legs in a small quiet corner, and sit for 30 minutes. I calm the body and try to draw back into the self. The feeling of contentment, during and after, surpasses what the senses cling to for a brief moment. With Vata down, and Sattwa predominating, it leaves me ready to grasp Physics equations with equanimity. For me, approaching Physics with equanimity is more of a Yogic practice than pulling both legs behind the head!

No comments:

Post a Comment