I'm reading the Charaka Samhita again, so it will probably be a few months of quotes on Ayurveda, Yeaaa!
Here are the guidelines for proper intake of food. Following these will help to cultivate Sattwa, and a generally healthy state of being. Of course with all things, there will be specific adjustments for each unique constitution.
1. The food should be hot.
2. The food should be unctuous.
3. The food should be taken in proper quantity.
4. The food should be taken only after the previous meal is digested.
5. The food ingredients should not be contradictory in their potency.
6. The food should be taken in a pleasant place with required accessories.
7. The food should not be taken in excessive hurry.
8. The process of intake should not be exceedingly slow.
9. While eating, one should neither talk nor laugh; during this time one should concentrate on eating only.
10. Only such food should be taken which is wholesome to the physical constitution and psychic temperament of the individual.
Here in America we often break these rules, sometimes all of them at once, when we take our meals. If you feel inclined try applying one of the following principles for a week. Put down the book or get away from the office desk when you have lunch and see if it helps your digestion and your state of mind!
Wishing you all the best health!
Jay Shiv Shakti