Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Finding the Joy in Teaching Hatha Yoga Again

When I left California earlier this year I was teaching seven days a week, sometimes six classes a day, and it burnt me out.  I looked around at all the Yoga going on and I found mostly loud aerobic classes that seemed so far from a practice that helps one to reach their full spiritual potential.  I could see clearly how it would make your ass look nice and sweat off a few pounds, but beyond that I had a hard time finding the Yoga.  In the middle of the Yoga fashion show, rapper yogis, and everyone selling what they can to turn a buck; I had to shake my head and walk away......

Tonight out in Stillwater the joy wrapped around me again, the joy of sharing what I love with an amazing group of people.  There's no music, just the sound of the wind blowing through the trees.  We spend just as much time meditating and chanting mantra as we do performing asana and pranayama.  And as we finished our practice with 108 mantras I felt so blessed to know these people and share what I love with them.  

I can't extend my gratitude to them enough.  Thank you for taking me in, for giving me a place to teach, for sharing the beauty that each of you has, and for letting that joy deep inside me radiate out again.


Jay Shiv Shakti

3 comments:

  1. Glad that you found that joy again! I wish there were more dedicated students to keep you here in CA but we understand. (J and I would have chanted 108 OM's with you!) To the women at Stillwater, if you are reading - You are blessed to have this exceptional teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was not the students! I needed to to do something different, find another way to be of service in the world. It was the 'yoga industry' that drove me nuts and made my heart ache.....I love all the students out in Cali so much!!! From yoga fashion, to weekend workshops on enlightenment, with no need to follow any sort of tradition, it just didn't feel right anymore. I was embarrassed to say I was a yoga teacher, when I saw what most yoga teachers were doing. Now, it's a few times a week and I just love it.

    I'm really looking forward to seeing you out in Cali again!

    Jay Shiv Shakti

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not a representative of the yoga industry just as I am not one of those toy reps who lie about product or pad orders. All industries constantly re-invent themselves with new products to make money. What you teach is far deeper and has holding power.

    ReplyDelete